Google+

Monday 5 May 2014

The Fabulous Blogging Conference that is #BlogonMOSI

I first met Laura a few years ago at a bloggers' event at Butlins.  Since then, I've watched with massive admiration as she has transformed herself into a blogging tour de force!  Among Laura's credits is the annual bloggers' conference Blog On MOSI, perfect for those of us north of Watford, which takes place at Manchester's Museum of Science and Industry.

Yesterday was this year's Blog On MOSI.  Laura has got the formula just right, with round table discussion groups, small group Q & A's and hands on workshops, which give delegates the chance to learn new things and be inspired by their peers and the experts.  There is also plenty of opportunity to chat and mingle with the other bloggers as well as the brands that attend. The awesome bags of freebies, the incredible tombola and the huge raffle also play a big part in making the day a tremendous success.

My highlights from the day included the following things:

Learning how to use my PASM buttons!

My Lumix G2 camera and I have our ups and downs.  Sometimes I'll get a great shot, other times I do a better job using the camera on my phone.  This has been a massive source of frustration to me.  Thankfully, John Arnold was on hand to give me some top tips and advice. Now I can adjust my aperture settings and shutter speed and take control of my images.

Olympus, Lumix


Getting inspired by Capture By Lucy

Lucy's blog features the sort of photographs you wish you could take.  Combining an artistic eye with some beautifully quaint and retro props, Lucy can elevate a shot of a bottle of washing-up liquid into a work of art. I loved chatting to her and snapping some of her vintage props.  She is one inspirational lady and just as lovely as her photos.

Thanks too to Emily Leary for giving me the courage to play with the Dodge, Burn and Curves settings on my photo editor.  I was too nervous to mess around with them before!

kitchen, metal

retro, vintage

vintage, retro


Vitamix

For the last two weeks I've overhauled my diet.  I'm now a mostly dairy free, caffeine free, artificial additive free, refined sugar free, low carb eating vegetarian.  I've embraced my new lifestyle, losing 10 lbs, improving my skin, my general wellbeing and my outlook on food in the process.  Blog On was set to be a challenge. Cakes, pastries, cookies, brownies and flapjacks are available in abundance.  This was set to be a real test. Psychologically I thought I should be craving the sweet stuff, but when I really thought about it I was actually happier to eat the fresh fruit and drink mineral water.  It was empowering to not feel jealous of the cake eaters!

My decision was made so much easier by the lovely lady at the Vitamix stand who was using the latest Vitamix blender to make delicious green smoothies.  They were absolutely delicious and I paid a couple of visits to get a glass of grape, banana,pineapple and spinach smoothie.  The machine itself is amazing with the ability to freeze or heat the contents the blender, making ice-creams and soups with ease.  It's genius!

vitamix, vegan, smoothies


I met some lovely folk, and although I'm still a bit of a lone wolf, I enjoyed chatting to the bloggers and PRs I already know as well as meeting some wonderful new folks.  My favourite new face of the day was the incredibly funny, very lovely Messed Up Mum.  If you want to read a searingly honest anonymous blog about juggling parenthood, complicated family life and post baby health concerns with mental health issues, that still manages to shine with love, humour and warmth, take a look.

I may also have taken a selfie with a cardboard cutout of a Stormtrooper...as Blog On was held on May 4th...'May the fourth be with you' and all that!



I was pretty chuffed to win some prizes on both the tombola and raffle (unheard of) and come home laden with some pretty cool free stuff from some brilliant brands such as Jacobs Creek, Kelloggs, Nickelodeon, Ecover, Crushed UK, Scotch, Hotter Shoes, Bananagrams and McVities.  It was lovely to also contribute towards raising money for charity (over £700 was made on the day) and also to donate some nail varnishes to the Bravery Boxes collection.

Thanks again to the indomitable lady that is Laura Seaton aka Tired Mummy of Two - you sure know how to throw a good conference!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...